Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Education and employment
Postdoc in Biosciences, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, 2022.
Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Syracuse University, 2016.
M.S. in Chemical Engineering, Zhejiang University, 2010.
B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Shandong University, 2007.
My research lies in the interface of microbiology and engineering with a focus on understanding and engineering biosystems (particularly microbiomes and biofilms) using systems and synthetic biology approaches. I am especially interested in using microfluidics, functional genomics, mathematical modeling, and molecular biology tools to understand microbial systems from cells to ecosystems level, and engineering functional microbial systems.
Selected previous projects:
- Development of high throughput methods for understanding complex microbial communities. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Advisor: Adam P. Arkin.
- Effects of substrate stiffness on bacterial biofilm formation. Syracuse University. Advisor: Dacheng Ren.
- Kinetics and modelling of melt/solid polycondensation of poly(L-lactic acid). Zhejiang University. Advisor: Linbo Wu.
- Synthesis and characterization of carbosilane dendrimers used as silica-based stationary phases in high performance liquid chromatography. Shandong University. Advisor: Shengyu Feng.
- William A. Sharpless, Kyle B. Sander, Fangchao Song, Jennifer V. Kuehl, Adam P. Arkin†, “Towards environmental control of microbiomes”. bioRxiv (2022), Link.
- Fangchao Song†, Jennifer V. Kuehl, Arjun Chandran, Adam P. Arkin†, “A simple, cost-effective and automation-friendly direct PCR approach for bacterial community analysis”. mSystems (2021). Link.
- Melt/solid state polycondensation preparation method for polylactic acid. CN102040730.
- Melt/solid phase polycondensation preparation method of polylactic acid material with high molecular weight and high crystallinity. CN102002147.
- DOE ENIGMA discovery grant at Berkeley Lab (2021-2022), Fangchao Song (PI), $150k. "Development of metagenomics-mediated droplet-based high throughput phenotyping method for microbial genome-wide association study."
Recent honors and awards
- Berkeley Lab Research SLAM Finalist, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (2019)
- Helmsley Scholarship, Synthetic Biology Course, Cold Springs Harbor Laboratory (2017)
- Outstanding Graduate Student in Chemical Engineering, Syracuse University (2016).
- Syracuse University Outstanding TA Award, Syracuse University (2015).